WDNR / RKLD Water Controversy
The following are documents related to the request by the Rock-Koshkonong Lake District (RKLD) to raise Lake Koshkonong’s water level. Read more about the controversy.
- Judicial Review Decision (662 KB). This is Judge Dillon’s decision, announced May 12, 2008, affirming Judge Coleman’s decision to uphold the WDNR’s Finding of Fact.
- Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law, and Order (269 KB). This is Judge Coleman’s decision announced December 1, 2006
- Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law, and Order (8 KB). This replaces the final page in the official Findings of Fact, Conclusions of Law, and Order. It documents the appeal rights for those who feel harmed by the decision.
- Environmental Impact Report (49.1 MB). This is the report prepared by the RKLD and submitted to the WDNR in October 2003.
- EIR, Second Response (15.8 MB). This is RKLD’s response to the WDNR’s request for additional information. Submitted May 2004.
- WDNR Environmental Assessment (7.3 MB). Released in April 2005 by the WDNR, this report discusses the potential environmental consequences of granting the request. (Note that the attachments are not included as they would have increased the file to an unmanageable 120 MB.)
- WDNR Finding of Fact (25 KB). On April 15, 2005 the WDNR announced its decision to partially grant the winter request and deny the summer request. This report summarizes the reasons for its decision.
History of Lake Koshkonong
- Early WI Shooting Clubs (64 KB). Written by Walter A. Frautschi, this is a very good overview of the early hunting clubs in Wisconsin. Much of it focuses on the clubs around Lake Koshkonong.
- Antiquities of Wisconsin – Rock River Section 1 (2.29 MB). This is an excerpt from Chapter III of Increase Allen Lapham’s book Antiquities of Wisconsin. Published in 1855, the book documents Lapham’s exploration of the Native American effigy mounds in Wisconsin. This excerpt focuses on the mounds located along the lower Rock River below Aztalan, including a description of Lake Koshkonong in 1850 and the mounds near Bingham’s Point and Thebeau Point. The entire book can be found at the University of Wisconsin – Madison Online Library.
- Lake Koshkonong Wetland Plant Community Assessment (pdf) (14.2 MB) Released in June 2006, this study conducted a comprehensive vegetation survey and community quality assessment within wetlands adjacent to Lake Koshkonong,
- Lake Koshkonong Floodplain Forest Study (pdf) (2.2 MB) Released in February 2005, this study conducted a detailed assessment of the floodplain forest communities adjacent to Lake Koshkonong, evaluated and described correlations between historic and present lake water levels with the long-term growth rates of the floodplain forest trees, and addressed potential impacts of the proposed water level increase on these communities.
- Water Levels Got You Down? (561 KB) This is an article from the Summer 2006 issue of Lake Tides. It discusses the role of rain and groundwater on lake levels, and how lower water can be beneficial.